Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Computer Crash

So you never realize how much you depend on your computer until you do not have it any longer. That happened to me last Sunday. After lying in bed that morning as we had a power surge, I did not realize what had happened to my laptop, but when I got back from church a few hours later, it would not come back on. I thought it might be something simple, because I had seen it act in that way before (the screen remaining blank). But after multiple attempts to get it going, I discovered that there might be something worse wrong with it. So I went home and got two other laptops, my old one from before the tornado that is extremely slow and has enough problems of its own and my brother's old/grandmother's new laptop. Between the two I had all the programs I needed, for neither had everything I needed to do my school work.

For the past 8 days, I have used those two laptops on a consistent basis and have had no problems. It was weird using other laptops, because it is so easy to get used to your own. But I managed and made it through the 8 days of not having my own computer. During that time, my computer was sent off to DELL. First, a friend of ours recovered the important information off of my hard drive. Then, DELL fixed my computer, and got it back rather quickly. I was quite impressed. Apparently the hard drive and motherboard were fried from the power surge. I am not entirely sure what happened, but those two parts were recorded on a form that came back with the computer.

So now everything is back to normal, and I almost have everything reloaded onto my laptop. It is almost like I have a new computer. I will be doing significant backups from now on, just in case. I discovered that I am very dependent on this piece of technology, which can be good and bad. It is good in that much of our lives revolve around technology now, and everything I need is on here. But it is bad in that as a result it can eat up a lot of our time. This is the first time, besides the tornado, that I have lost my computer. I hope to never have to go through this again.

No comments: