Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bible Drill (for Kids)

Most of you know that I participated in Bible Drill throughout my childhood and teenage years. From 4th-12th grade I was involved in some form of Bible Drill. It was one of those consistent features of my year. I quit organized sports in 6th grade, but Bible Drill carried me onward to graduation. I was privileged with the opportunity to go through Children's, Youth, and X-treme Bible Drill. I also participated in the Bible Drill Speaker's Tournament. But it was one of those things I had to eventually grow out of. It only carried me so far, and life began changing. I have not participated or helped with a form of Bible Drill in two years...

Until this summer... Christian Wee Learn. When I found out that this was the curriculum for the summer, I was excited. Bible Skills, Drills, & Thrills is the new format for 1st-3rd grade, something that was not available when I was that young. Now I have been able to teach one of my childhood passions to 20+ kids, and I have enjoyed every minute of that part of the summer. The days we spend in Bible Study and Bible Review have been great! The kids have impressed me, and I have been able to go back to all those years that I spent in Bible Drill.

This curriculum that LifeWay has developed is amazing! There are 36 lessons in each cycle. We have been using the Red Cycle (1 of 3 different cycles). There is plenty to do and learn. Each lesson introduces new (sometimes very simple) games to help reinforce the kids learning. It also includes a key verse, a passage for the Bible Story, a craft, and a service idea. All in all, the kids learn the books of the Bible, 8 memory verses, and 10 key passages. Each lesson will keep the children busy, and leaders will enjoy the time they spend with the kids.

Tomorrow is sadly our last day of Bible Study. We almost hit 30 of the 36 lessons this summer. Along the way, many of these kids have memorized all the information that was placed before them. I encourage anyone who works with kids at their church to purchase this material. Your kids will have fun, and so will you. I redeveloped some of the games they provided, and we play many of them everyday. These games have been the foundation of their memorization. The stories provide them with truths to carry on with them for the rest of their life. The Scripture will forever be instilled in their hearts and minds.

So if you have never had some type of curriculum for the younger kids of your church, go check this out. It could be the answer your church or your kids have been looking for. If done right, it can encourage young kids to study Scripture, providing them with a fun way of learning the Bible. I really hate to see this study coming to an end tomorrow. It has been an exciting experience.

Matt

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great! Thanks for the recommendation. So, this is for 4th - 12th graders. Have you found anything for younger children.

I do have a great tool for pre-readers for Bible Study that I will share...just incase someone is looking for that too! "This Bible Talks!" by Pamela Fischer. Narrated by Michael David McGuire. Published by GM Books. Website: http://www.thisbibletalks.com

Thanks again for this great recommendation, I am excited to read up on it...I may need it in a few years:)

mbrewer said...

No this is for 1st-3rd grade, sorry if there was any confusion. I have used it for K-5 this summer, but it is targeted at 1st-3rd. I did Bible Drill from 4-12 when I was a kid.