Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Gas Prices, an Election, and Storms

Every time you turn on the TV, it seems that one of these three topics hits you in the face. If the news stations are not talking about the upcoming election (and primaries) or the failing economy, another storm has devastated part of the country or world. This can become a depressing time if we are not careful.

It is easy to start worrying about what is to come next. First off, the election is now 6 months away, and we still do not know who the democratic candidate is going to be. Last night was just another split decision, and both candidates are right where they were a week ago. So who should get the democratic nomination? Well it seems as if everyone has their own opinion about that.

Furthermore, with gas prices on the rise, people worry about how high it is really going to go. People are in fear, wondering if they will be able to even afford gas in the coming months. Plus, is there a candidate who can help solve this problem? If so, should that be the reason that we vote for them? These are questions that are dominating our lives right now.

And if that were not enough, severe storms seem to be coming non-stop all throughout the country. Just yesterday, more tornadoes were reported in the Midwest. No one is safe from a sporadic tornado forming. And this too places fear into so many.

So why am I discussing this? Well honestly, all three of these topics play a part in my life (and I am guessing your life as well). I drive to school every day now, and I am not too happy about the $3.50/gallon gas. Plus, I will be voting in November, and the biggest question in my mind right now is who I am going to vote for. And, with severe storms coming at us yet again last Friday, the fear and the memories from the February 5 tornado still come back to me.

But I am trying to not let these things get to me. I know that through it all, I will come out on the other side. God is still in control, and He is still right here with me. The world may be falling apart in some ways right now, but I know that I should not worry about those things (Matthew 6:34). God sees all that is happening, and His hand is still over His children through it all.

I am not going to worry about these things. I will continue to watch the news and see what is going on in our world, but I am not going to let it get to me. I have been there and done that; it does not help me in any way. So the next time you feel overwhelmed by all that is going on around you, pray! Do not worry; just go to Him. The problems may still be in your life, but you will have the one, true solution.

Matt

No comments: