Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

How Well Do You Know the Bible?


Today we began the new curriculum with the kids at Christian Wee Learn. We were not able to get the whole schedule going like we are planning, but we did use today as an introduction day. So we began moving them around to different stations, and I sat down with them for the first time to talk about the Bible. Some surprised me with what they know about the Bible while others shocked me that they did not know more.

Granted these kids are only K-5, so it reasonable to assume that they would get stories confused, but some did not know where to begin with creation or the flood. But let me encourage you to examine your own lives. How much do you know about the Bible? Throughout our conversations through Genesis and Exodus this morning the kids challenged me. I received questions such as the following:

  • How old was Noah when he died? - I knew a general area, but not the exact age.
  • What were all 10 plagues in Egypt? - I knew around half, but I did not know them in order.

Those are the 2 that really stood out to me. I know that they are small details in some ways, but if we study God's Word daily, we could know even some of the smallest details of the Bible. I am trying to teach them the basic stories and some general verses. I want them to learn the books of the Bible and know how to find certain stories and books. But I can already see that the questions will not stop. I have a feeling that they will push me and teach me in ways that I did not think about this summer. In many ways that is exciting. God may teach me many new things this summer. But in other ways, it is scary. I want to be ready each day for any question they might ask, which means that I will need to do some more studying.

So my encouragement to you is for you to study hard. Go to those places in the Bible that you may have skipped over (like Leviticus or Numbers or maybe some of the prophets). See what you can learn from those books. The more you read God's Word, the better you will know it. I received an extra boost today that encouraged me to study harder. So now I want to pass that on to you as well.

Study... see what you learn.

Matt

No comments: