Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Friday, September 11, 2009

9-11-2001

The question is, where were you 8 years ago? Can you even remember that far back? In some ways, the events of that day seem so distant now. In other ways, it feels as if it were only yesterday. I am sure that those who lost loved ones on that day still feel as if it was yesterday. But what about the rest of us? Have we forgotten the fear that we felt 8 years ago? Has September 11th become "just another day."

I have to admit that now that we are on our 8th anniversary of those awful attacks, it is getting fuzzier. I do not remember the details of that morning as much as I once did. But I did not lose anyone, and maybe that is why. But a tradition that I have developed over the last 8 years is watching FOX's coverage from 2001 each year. When I got up this morning and turned on the TV, FOX was showing the same video that I have watched year in and year out, marking each significant event of that morning. And even 8 years later, it still sends chills through my spine, fear. I wonder... could it happen again? Are we really safe? Could there be another attack one day?

For some, this day may be beginning to become routine again. But we must be careful not to let September 11th become another ordinary day. True, we no longer dwell on it as we once did. However, it is good to have that reminder each year that we must watch out, we must remember our military, we must remain safe, and we must turn to God as we did on the days that followed 9-11-2001.

Some people may have moved on since 2001, but after talking with several people on campus today, for many of us, we have not forgotten. We all spoke of where we were that morning, what we remembered feeling, how our schools and communities reacted, how our churches reacted. For those of us who were just kids on that dreadful morning, we have not forgotten, and I do not think that we ever will.

To close this out, I just want to thank all who worked so hard that morning in New York, D.C., and Pennsylvania (even those who lost their lives). And I want to thank those who are continuing to fight the war that began that morning. May we never forget the sacrifice that so many have paid for us in recent years.

Matt

No comments: