Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Boneman's Daughters


Boneman's Daughters is a thriller that will stay with you even after you finish this one. I have heard that said about many books in the past. Supposedly, they are supposed to be so creepy or disturbing that it will haunt you the days after you finish. Now many books have stuck with me because of theme, symbolism, characters, or plot twists. But never has one stuck with me based on the story itself. So I heard that Boneman's Daughters would do this. And I began wondering if this would finally be the book that disturbed me greatly.
..
It was.
..
Now like all of Ted Dekker's books, there is a major underlying Christian element to this book. It is not quite as overt as some of his books have been in the past. But through a casual reading of this novel, you will see the point that Dekker is trying to make. This is a major plus for the book, because this is what I expect when I enter into one of his novels. But I also expect a major plot twist, which this novel also provides. And one of my favorite parts of Dekker books are the characters. They are so memorable. He creates characters that you will not soon forget, and once again I saw great character development and some very memorable characters. So now I have to decide... is this my favorite Ted Dekker book? For years, Thr3e has been my favorite, and I wonder if I have finally found a book to top it.
..
I might have.
..
I have not yet decided. But the twist in this one is pretty good. And the story itself is amazing! So what is the story? Ryan Evans serves in Iraq. His vehicle is attacked. Ryan wakes up as a hostage underground. He witnesses a cruel form of punishment. Ryan will do anything to save his daughter. Then there is BoneMan. He has killed 7 girls previously by breaking their bones without breaking their skin. BoneMan lets his victims bleed to death internally. He is looking for a daughter. BoneMan takes his "daughters" from their fathers to have one for himself. He cannot find the perfect daughter. BoneMan takes Bethany, Ryan's daughter. Ryan will do anything to save his daughter. He goes after BoneMan, attempting to stop him. Ryan is suspected as being BoneMan by the FBI. He must prove that he is a desperate father and not the killer. BoneMan has his daughter.
..
That is the basic storyline. There is so much more that I could mention, but I cannot give this story away. This is a father/daughter story. That is one of the main themes of the novel. You are going to like this one. If I could recommend any Dekker novel to you, this is the one that I would recommend. Partly because it is not connected to any other novel. Mostly because it is that good. So go buy Boneman's Daughters. But be careful, this one will stay with you after you finish the last page. It has stuck with me.
..
Matt

No comments: