Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama Wins

I stayed in front of the TV last night for 6 hours watching the returns slowly come in. I have not been open on here about who I was supporting during this Presidential Race, but I figure that many of you knew who it was. I was for John McCain, and at the start of the night, there did seem to be some hope that he might be able to pull off a victory. But when Pennsylvania fell through, things began to turn and seem a little less than hopeful. And when old red states turned blue, the final nail was put in the coffin.

About 9:45 (central) Obama had 220 projected votes, and California was soon to close. That is when I figured it out. A few minutes later, the news began turning to the west coast to see what was coming up next, and they confirmed my suspicions. Then, at 10:00 the polls closed and they projected Obama to win California and win the Presidency.

So where do we go from here? Well, for the next 2-3 months George Bush will finish up his 2nd term. Then, in January, Obama will become the 44th president of the United States. This is a new day for America, and we can either support our president or turn away. Which seems more logical? To me the obvious choice is support. Just like past races, if the party that loses does not help and support the winning party, things will not work right in this country. Think about the last 8 years. George Bush has been the president, and at first the Republicans had a strong hold on the country. But the Democrats persevered, and now they have a strong hold in the White House. Things can always change quickly in this country.

But the key is that we cannot give up on America. Maybe you do not like the results of this election, but should you go against our country because you are unhappy? Should you disrespect the one who has been elected our newest leader? Absolutely not! Instead, we should support him to some degree. The Bible calls us to support the leaders before us. Now obviously, if a leader rejects God's Word, then we are called to follow what we know is right (and that goes with any leader). But still, support your country and support your president. This is a new day, and we can choose to either be disappointed and angry (causing division) or be supportive.

Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on, Matt! You've said all that needs to be said about the election and I couldn't agree more, so thank you!

Also, thank you for the lyrics to "One Life to Love." I was in San Antonio last week to visit my mom who had surgery and had just sat down on the hotel bed, hit the on button on the radio, and, guess what?! The first line I heard played was "Sitting all alone on her hotel bed...." Well, that got my immediate attention! I was truly feeling alone and sad when God used this line and the chorus to put His strong arms around me and let me know he was still there; watching over me, my mom and the whole stressful situation. Bottom line; it reminded me of just why I was there. I'm trying to find a website for the band (hope they have one) so I can let them know what their song meant to me. Truly, we only have one life to live and one life to love!

Thanks again, Matt! You're a young man that gives me hope for the future of America! May our Lord bless you as you attend a wonderful school, Union University, and as you continue to serve Him in every area of your life. This 60 year old servant of the Lord will be praying for you.

Bonnie (Mt. Juliet, TN)