Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Somewhere in the Middle


In your relationship with God, have you ever felt like you did not know exactly where you were? I mean, have you thought "I know I have made progress," but still feel like "but I know I am not there yet." If so, then you are completely normal. However, like me and so many others, you probably tell yourself that you find yourself stuck in the middle. Take heart, the Apostle Paul found himself in a similar situation as well in Romans 7. He says that he does the very thing that he hates and not the thing that he knows is right. He in essence is stuck somewhere in the middle of what is right and what is wrong. Casting Crowns does a good job in expressing this idea in their song, "Somewhere in the Middle."

Somewhere in the Middle

Somewhere between the hot and the cold
Somewhere between the new and the old
Somewhere between who I am and who I used to be
Somewhere in the middle, You'll find me
Somewhere between the wrong and the right
Somewhere between the darkness and the light
Somewhere between who I was and who You're making me
Somewhere in the middle, You'll find me

Just how close can I get, Lord, to my surrender without losing all control
Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle
Are we caught in the middle

Somewhere between my heart and my hands
Somewhere between my faith and my plans
Somewhere between the safety of the boat and the crashing waves
Somewhere between a whisper and a roar
Somewhere between the altar and the door
Somewhere between contented peace and always wanting more
Somewhere in the middle You'll find me

Just how close can I get, Lord, to my surrender without losing all control
Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
But would we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle

Lord, I feel You in this place and I know You're by my side
Loving me even on these nights when I'm caught in the middle

This song has so many great images, and I have felt them so many times in my life. Some of the ones that stick out to me are:


  • Somewhere between who I am and who I used to be, who I am and who you're making me... How many times do you feel like you make progress and then revert back? I have been through this, and at times I feel like I am stuck there. Now we will never get to what we want to be in Christ this side of Heaven. However, we are called to try continually.

  • Somewhere between my heart and my hands... Our thoughts and ideas on how to serve Christ are sometimes just that, great ideas. They fail to be backed up by action. And I know I am guilty in this area.

  • Somewhere between the safety of the boat and the crashing waves... This is a recurring theme through Casting Crowns music (appearing on all 3 CD's), and it is very true for some of my life. It goes well with the second point. We know what we are supposed to be doing in Christ, but we like the comfort of the boat and are scared to get out and work for Him.

  • Deep water faith in the shallow end... This one of the most vivid images of the song. At times, we can get so caught up in wanting to know the theological issues or know God so much better that we find ourselves wading in the shallow end of the pool, again afraid to see what else God has in store for us. Knowledge is great, but when it is not backed up by action, we are just wading in the shallow end of the pool.

There are many other images that speak to me, and these are just a few. But my encouragement for myself and for you is to take action. Stop sitting around with great ideas on how you can better serve God and go out there and work for Him. Take hold of the gifts that He has given to you and let Him use you in life.


Matt

No comments: