Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

God in the Whirlwind



Well this is not exactly what I had intended to write about this week. I had a few books in mind for my next review, but I was on our university website yesterday and noticed the newest news article. So I am going to write about a book that I have not read, and one that has not even hit the bookstores yet.

As you all know, a tornado hit our campus on February 5, 2008. That happened 12 weeks ago today. This book will be released on June 1, 2008, and it is a compilation of stories from those of us who survived the tornado (I am not one of the ones in this book... sorry).

Students and faculty who experienced this terrifying night have submitted their stories and 20 of the stories will be included in this book. I have been told what some of them probably, and so I know some of those who will be featured in this book. Each story points to God's providential care over every single one of us that night. Although 51 students were injured and the last student was released from the hospital about 2 weeks ago, God spared everyone of us from death. These stories will point to the care that He showed us that night.

So I cannot really right a "review" of this book at the present moment, only a "preview" for what will be included. But I encourage everyone to purchase a copy of this book. It will be available at LifeWay on June 1 and all proceeds for the book will go to the Union University Disaster Relief Fund, a.k.a. to help rebuild our really expensive dorms.

Once again I would just like to praise God for His unbelievable protection that night. His presence was felt in the bathroom that I took cover in, and the memories and emotions that still come back to me from that night continue to remind me that the only reason I am alive today is because of what He did that night. Every single student could have died, and by looking at the destruction, some should have. There was no logical way that anyone could have been pulled out of some of those buildings. But God worked past all logic and protected His children.

So please purchase the book and read about one example of God's amazing love!

Matt

No comments: