Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Kingdom Series



I accidentally ran across these books because Chad was telling me of them this past week. He then bought them, and I have been reading them this week.

This book, Kingdom's Dawn, begins a 6-part series that will take you to a new land filled with knights and warriors. Only those well trained in sword fighting can survive, and the rest just might end up as a slave. The story begins with a young man by the name of Leinad who finds that he is not just a farmer's boy. The King of Arrethtrae has much more in store for him. Then, when his world comes crashing down around him, he begins to step into a new role in life where he must take charge and discover his true destiny.

This series is a parallel to many biblical stories. You will be reading along and suddenly realize that one of the characters seems to be exactly like Abraham, or Joseph, or Moses, or Daniel, etc. The books take you from Genesis to Revelation, retelling many biblical accounts in a medieval fashion. You may think this to be rather odd, and I can agree in some ways. I found myself asking "Why?" a lot as I was reading along. I thought, "He could have done without making that connection." But despite all of that, I kept reading the books. The connections really are creative and well done. I am amazed at how he developed so many connections throughout this series.

The books are rather short as well. If you have read The Chronicles of Narnia then you have an idea of how short these books are. They are about the same length as C. S. Lewis's fantasy novels. I am finishing up the 4th of these today, and will begin the 5th later tonight.

So do I recommend these books to you? Yes. If you are a fan of fantasy novels, or medieval works, I think you will enjoy the Kingdom Series. It is really easy to read, and really easy to get hooked. So if you are looking for a quick read, pick up Kingdom's Dawn, I think you will enjoy it.

Matt

No comments: