Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Prized Possessions


We all have these. They are those objects that you would never want to lose and would feel horrible about if they were lost or destroyed. Now most of my stuff I would not care if I lost. I would understand that it could be replaced (even if it did cost a fortune to do). But there are some things that I have that I could never replace. They are either something given to me by a close friend or family member or some seemingly worthless object that has sentimental value. I have several of these objects.

1. Some are little trinkets given to me by my grandmother(s) and great-grandmother. My dresser is lined with such objects. I can tell you where each one came from. I have a ty beanie baby. My grandmother collected them, and when she passed away we all got one to remember her by. I have also have cars and and stuff that they bought for me at some point. There is even a sand art bottle I made at Opryland (which no longer exists).

2. Then there are those objects I received from funerals of my relatives. I can tell you where they are and who they were for. They remind me each day of those who have passed away. I even have one of my grandfather's Bibles.

3. A new object I consider sentimental is my Union University license plate I bought last summer. My Jeff Gordon license plate did not survive the tornado, but my Union one did. I have since replaced it, but I still have the tornado-bent license plate in my room.

4. But the biggest one of all is my Left Behind book. Why? Because it was actually my grandmother, Lynda's. She was the first in our family to begin that series. My other grandmother, Ruth Ann, bought me the kids series. I read the kids from then on. But when my grandmother, Lynda, passed away, I was allowed to take the Left Behind book. I called Granny all the time telling her what was happening in the kids series, and she would fill me on the adult series. After she passed away, I realized I could no longer keep her up-to-date, and vice-versa. So I began reading the adult series for myself. One reason I read those books all the way through was because of Granny. I wish she could know how the story ended, but I have a feeling we will talk about it again some day. I would not care if I lost all of my books, but I DO NOT want to lose Book #1 in the Left Behind series, because it was Granny's. Nothing could ever replace it.

Do you have anything sentimental that you would hate to lose?
..
Matt

1 comment:

Gavin Breeden said...

my wedding band.

various books/Bibles that have meaning to me based on when i read them, or who gave them to me, or the effect they had on me.

my Asics Gel-Keyano 10 running shoes. I ran my first half marathon in them.

there is probably more important things, but those are the first to pot in my head.

this post is going to make it difficult for me to criticize the left behind books to you because now i see the emotional investment that you have in it...and for good reason too! rats!...just kidding!