Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Biblical Organization

Did you ever notice how well organized the Bible is? I mean, there are so many aspects of this book that are perfect (well every aspect). But it seems that the more I study the Bible, the more I discover. At times, these things are quite simple. It is something I have seen before, but now see in a new way.

Spending time with these kids each day has helped me see new things all the time. For instance, have you ever spent time just looking at the various descendants in the Bible. I mean we know the general genealogy such as Abraham, Isaac, etc. But what about others? These kids ask me questions all the time, encouraging me to dig deeper. So it has helped me search and search again.

What have I found?

Well here is one quick example. You can start counting the generations from Abraham to those who finally made it back to the Promised Land. There were at least 6 generations, if not more. The kids thought this was amazing, especially when I explained what a generation was. They saw how God kept His end of the covenant all those years.

And the Biblical story continues throughout all of Israel's history, showing various people and various covenants. But what amazed the kids even more was how the prophets connected back into the books of history.

Now these are just some of the things they ask and are curious about, and they are really very simple (especially to those of us who have been in church our whole life). We know these things, but it is always good to be reminded of what is in the Bible. We should ask questions constantly. Search the Word and see what else is in there. You will always find something new. Something different will strike you every time. And you will begin noticing bigger things than what was mentioned here.

So my challenge from this simple example is to make a decision to study hard. Search, look, and find.

Matt

No comments: