Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

School Must Be Close

This was not a good week for the kids. We had more discipline problems this week than ever before. I was taking 2 or 3 kids downstairs to talk with another teacher Monday-Thursday. They would not listen. They would not learn. I would take one down one day, and the next day would be just as bad (with the same kids). It was total chaos, and I did not know what to do. The only positive about those 4 days was that they continued to listen well during our Bible story time. They paid attention, participated well, and were able to play many games. By the end of the week I was able to chart their progress to see where we need to focus on during this last week and a half of summer.

Another positive about this week is that Friday went well and we had only 1 problem with 1 kid all day! I hope that is a good sign for Monday.

I honestly believe that one of the main reasons that they have been so wild this week is because they know that school is almost here and summer is almost over. They all go back on August 7. It will not be long until some of the kids leave Christian Wee Learn for school. They will not be here for after school. However, others will be seeing us when they get out of school each day. Plus a whole new batch will show up. Those moving up into Kindergarten will be with us once school starts back. Lots of change is coming in the next few weeks. I just hope that this next week will go smoothly.

Also, I have been seeing how fast they can spout off the books of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. It is just like what we used to do in Bible Drill. I line them up, start with the first person, and they go down the line saying the books. I have now started timing the older group, and I challenged them to do it in less than a minute. After 4 tries, they did it! They can do it in 53.63 seconds. I was blown away.

So maybe some things are not going so well, and maybe they are excited about school. That does not excuse the way that they have acted, but I can understand they are anxious for school to start in some ways. But I am daily impressed by these kids when they are able to recall all the different information that we have learned this summer. It has been fun to watch.

Matt

No comments: