Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sigh of Relief

Gas prices are finally coming down. Who knows how long they will actually stay down. Over the past few months gas prices have begun to drop for once. After a hard spring of continuously rising gas prices, they now seem to be at least leveling off. Throughout the month of June gas remained in the $3.80-3.99 range in Martin. It never crossed over to that dreaded $4 mark (although $3.99 is actually right there). But July has brought a sense of hope to everyone. The past couple of weeks have shown a slight decline in the price of gas. Each day the national average has steadily dropped. Today gas dropped another $2.50 per barrel.

But is this going to last?

That seems to be the question now. How long will we see gas fall? I think that it depends on us. I heard a statistic this morning that said that American's drove over 40 billion less miles in the first 4 months of this year as compared to previous years. I think that the last 2-3 months has seen an even sharper cut. With people conserving fuel, carpooling, and using public transit, gas is making its way back down. If we will keep up with what he have started and not revert back to our old ways, gas may continue to fall. But if we take this price drop and use it as an excuse to waste gas again, I feel that gas will once again rise.

But what do I know? I am not an economic expert. I do not understand all of the ins and outs of the gas prices. Then again, who really does? Is there a real standard to how and why gas prices rise and fall? There are a lot of questions that it seems no one can answer. All I can say is that I am relieved that gas is making its way back down. It does not put quite as bad of a pinch on me. I only hope that it will continue to stay down. So if you are one of those who has changed your ways because of rising gas costs, do not stop now. We are all doing something right it seems, and we must keep at it.

Matt

No comments: