Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Monday, August 4, 2008

Something Big


I feel like this section of the blog was a long time coming. There are so many songs out there that mean a lot to me. They have touched me in some way at various times of my life. Even when I hear them months or years later, they bring back those emotions and feelings. I am reminded of where I was at that point in my life. And then they continue to reveal new things to me. God can sometimes use a simple song to draw us back to Him.

This past semester, I bought John Waller's debut album. All 10 songs are amazing, and they all have their own message. Some of the more well known songs off of this album are "The Blessing" and "Still Calls me Son." Those are 2 of my favorites, but the song that has had the biggest impact on my life is "Something Big."
..
During my years in the youth group I had 2 youth ministers that always encouraged us to expect God to show up in life. Michael taught me to pray that God would do something big in my life prior to each new segment of life. It was a practice that I took hold of, and I saw God working through me in new and amazing ways. When John came my senior year, he began to encourage us to look to the end of those segments, see where we wanted to be at the end, and to work towards that goal. When I entered college, this became a common practice before each new semester and each break. I continued to see God working in truly amazing ways.
..
This past spring, God showed up once more, through the tornado. Needless to say, that was never what I was expecting when I prayed that prayer. But God had plans, and He was ready to do something big once again. Just a couple months after the tornado I heard this song, and it was perfect because it fit right in with what I had always been taught:
..
I wanna see something I've not seen
Something so big
I wanna be a part of something great
Greater than me
..
It's time to dream big dreams
To see Your vision
Become reality
‘Cause it’s for You, by You, those who
Love You wanna do
..
Something so big
It’s destined to fail without You, Lord
It’s gonna fail without You, Lord
Something so great
It takes a miracle to do
We, Your children
Wanna do something big for You
..
We, yes, we are gonna sing a brand new song
Something so strong
We will be the sound that wakes the dawn
Something so loud
..
It’s time for breaking through
‘Cause there are no limits
For he who holds the truth
When it’s for You, and by You, and those who
Love You wanna do
..
Something bigger, something greater
For the glory of Your splendor
Something bigger, something greater
Tell the story of Your wondrous love
Your wondrous love
Those who love you wanna do
..
As long as we live, let us do something so big for You
..
There is so much I could pull out of this song, but for the sake of the length of this post, I will not. Let me just say that this is an amazing song. One of my favorite parts is where it says that anything we do on our own is destined to fail without God's guidance. We cannot expect these amazing miracles in life when we depend on our own strength rather than God's. But when we rely on His strength, we should always be prepared for God to do something big in our life. It may not always seem "big," and we may not even understand what God was doing at the time. But as time goes by we will eventually see how God worked through every situation of life.
..
My charge for you today is to expect God to do great things in you life. He has a purpose for you, and He wants you to be willing and opened up to Him. If you are watching and waiting, God will do something big, just be ready!
..
Matt

No comments: