Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Summer is Sadly Over


What a summer this has been! From the constant preparation for work, to Kids Kamp, to VBS, I have been busy all summer long. But I would not trade anything for what God has done and what God has taught me this summer. He has been with me through it all, giving me the patience and the energy to make it through all the various struggles and stress that popped up along the way. Above is a group picture that we took this summer. All but 1 of those kids were fairly consistent this summer. And many of them were with us every day learning new stories, memory verses, and key passages.

Each kid made an impression on me in various ways. There were those that I could always depend on for anything that needed to be done. Many of them were also the ones that always memorized the newest information immediately. Then were those who were a struggle in both the area of learning the information and in the area of discipline. But by the end of the summer, they all impacted me in different ways. Today was my last day of work (no more summer program or after school). I already miss the kids. A few of our summer kids stayed with us for after school, so I got a few more weeks with them. But now even they are gone, or I guess it is because now I am gone.
..
I really hate to see summer go, although I have been looking forward to September since May. I am even more excited now that the semester is only a week away. For the first time in my life I tried to rush summer away. I was so excited to return to campus that I found myself wishing it would come quicker. But that made summer only go by slower. And now that I am at the end, I am thankful that summer drug on slowly. This was one of the best summers ever! And I pray and hope that the semester will only be a continuation of this amazing summer.

If you have wondered about Union construction, I can gladly say that it is now complete! All 14 buildings are completed and almost furnished. 1 more load of furniture comes in early next week, and those rooms will be ready for the start of the semester. Also, the commons plans have been changed. A 15th dorm is currently in the works, and after it is completed, they will construct 1 Commons for all 15 dorms. This will be the 16th building to finish out the 4 quads.



Hopefully you can read the letters on this picture. This was taken just a couple of weeks ago. Now you would be able to see some landscape work. But the quads have been named (as of this week). Quad A is where the 15th dorm is under construction. It will be known as Ayers. Quad B is below that, and will be known as Hurt. Hurt was the name of the women's complex pre-tornado. So that name has resurfaced for one of the women's quads. Quad C is beside that, and will be known as Watters. Watters was the name of the men's complex pre-tornado. I lived in that complex, and my new dorm sits on top of where my old dorm once stood (Deusner). Quad D is above my quad, and will be known as Grace. This quad will one day contain the new complex's Commons.

I will no more as the semester gets underway. But that is the latest news from Union. I cannot wait until I can step on to campus and look around at the new buildings. Dorm names should be coming within the next 2 weeks, probably after we arrive on campus. I will let you know about all of that when the time comes.

As you can tell, life has been busy. But it is once again time to take another turn and venture out into something new. As my second half of college begins, I will be heading off to a "New" Union. Things will forever be different, but I am excited about what the future holds. Once school starts, I probably will not blog every day like I have been doing for most of the summer. But then again, I may find the time. I will just have to see when the time comes.

Matt

1 comment:

jeskbree said...

I have found your blog! hahaha And I'm sure I had a hand in some of that patience you had to learn this summer :) Have fun when your new semester starts! The second half of college really starts to fly...
-your favorite co-worker