Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Whatever You're Doing (Something Heavenly)

This is a group that I have heard various songs from in the past. The only time I hear one of their songs is when I am listening to the radio or they appear on one of the WOW CD's. But recently I have been hearing this song on the radio, and for the longest I could not figure out who it was that was singing. I finally heard them tell that it was Sanctus Real, and now I may just end up buying one of their CD's (or at least this one song).

This song is another one of those songs that seems to define part of my life. I was one of those people who ran for many years from God. I did not run from His call for salvation, but I did run from His plan for my life. And although I can now see how everything led to where I am today, I do not really know why I really ran so much. I have not been able to nail down that one reason, but I think it was that I was just stubborn. But I am sure there was more to it than that. Fear probably played a big role in it as well.

But I just ran across this song not that long ago, and reminded me of some of the things that I have been through. It is one of those messages that I wish I had of heard during that time in my life. However, I feel that I would have just brushed it off as well. Still, there is a powerful message in these lyrics:

It’s time for healing, time to move on,
it’s time to fix what’s been broken too long
Time to make right what has been wrong;
it’s time to find my way to where I belong

There’s a wave that’s crashing over me, and all I can do is surrender

Whatever You’re doing inside of me
It feels like chaos, but somehow there’s peace
And it’s hard surrender to what I can’t see,
but I’m giving in to something heavenly

Time for a milestone, time to begin again, re-evaluate who I really am
Am I doing everything to follow Your will or just climbing aimlessly over these hills?

So show me what it is You want from me
I give everything – I surrender

Whatever You’re doing inside of me
It feels like chaos, but somehow there’s peace
And it’s hard surrender to what I can’t see,
but I’m giving in to something heavenly

Time to face up, clean this old house
Time to breathe in and let everything out that I’ve wanted to say for so many years
Time to release all my held back tears

Whatever You’re doing inside of me
It feels like chaos, but I believe …

You’re up to something bigger than me
Larger than life, something heavenly
Whatever You’re doing inside of me
It feels like chaos, but now I can see
This is something bigger than me
Larger than life
Something heavenly

In so many aspects of life, not just my call to the ministry, we can feel like something crazy is going on inside of us. There seems to be something going on that we cannot pinpoint, and we know that God is at work. That is probably where the fear comes in. God is directing us toward some new avenue in life or some new mission, and through the chaos of the "call" fear crops in around us. But what we miss so many times is that although God is at work, He does not work in a chaotic way. Instead, He provides a peace to help us along the way. He wants to work through us.

What I really like about this song is the progression it shows of our life. At first it shows that fear that I just talked about. But in the last few lines it shows our recognition of God's work. More so than ever, we eventually realize that God is up to something. It is at that point that we decide it would be a good idea to get involved. Many times God has to break us (like He did me in many ways). Then we finally come to the realization that God is trying to do "something big."

The final step is the reaction to God's call. We not only recognize that God is working, but we begin to do something about it. Once God grabs our attention, we can begin to fulfill some of His plans that He has for us. Through His strength and guidance, we can do "something big" because He is there with us.

This is just another look at a recent song. Listen to music, and see what you learn. God can use many different things in life to teach us lessons. For me, music plays a big role in my life. It is positive, encouraging, and a great reminder for me in life.

Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt - Thanks for posting this blog. It hit home for me. I know God is working in my life, I just can't pinpoint his mission. I am glad I am not the only one :)